Adverse Weather Conditions
In the event of a fall of snow or other dangerous weather situations occuring overnight or early morning the Head Teacher and the Chair of Governors will apply the following standards:
- The Head will travel to the school site (if able to do so) and undertake a Risk Assessment for staff and pupils attending Wodlands High School. If unable to get to the site the Head Teacher will contact the Estates Manager who lives onsite.
- The Head will inform the Chair of Governors regarding the results of the Risk Assessment.
- The Estates Manager, if able to get to school, will organise the salting of necessary areas.
- The transport companies will attempt to contact the school by telephone to inform the Head of their own Risk Assessments for safely picking up and returning the pupils. The companies may also contact parents and parents are advised to contact the transport companies if they need advice. IT IS ESSENTIAL THAT PARENTS/CARERS DO NOT BRING CHILDREN TO SCHOOL IN THEIR OWN TRANSPORT UNLESS THEY ARE ADVISED TO DO SO BY THE HEAD TEACHER.
- The decision to close the school is made by 7:30am. All parents will be contacted via a text message.
- The Head Teacher will notify the relevant department within the LA to ensure Cardiff's central website is updated to reflect the school closure
- School staff are advised to view the website, telephone or email the school only if they require further advice. Staff are required to complete their agreed work at home until the message on the website changes and they are advised otherwise and/or receive a text message.
In the event of a fall of snow or other dangerous weather situations happening whilst the school is in session the Head Teacher and the Chair of the Governors will apply the following standards.
- IT IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF PARENTS ANS CARERS TO KEEP THE SCHOOL UPDATED WITH TELEPHONE NUMBERS WHERE THEY CAN BE CONTACTED IN THE CASE OF EMERGENCIES.
- The Head Teacher and school staff will monitor the weather forecasts and the weather around the school during the school day. If a snow fall or other weather hazard seems possible, this plan will be activated.
- The Head Teacher will contact the Chair of Governors and the decision will be made to close the school early.
- A school closure notice will be placed on the website.
- The transport companies will be alerted that pupils will be leaving school at a pre-determined.
- Admin staff will use available information to contact parents/carers by text and phone to inform them of the school closure. THE SCHOOL CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE IF TELEPHONE NUMBERS ARE NOT KEPT UP TO DATE BY PARENTS/CARERS.
- The pupils will be placed on transport as it arrives and taken to the usual address to which they are taken normally.
- The school website will advise of the re-opening of the school when the weather has improved and parents will also receive a text message.