Attendance and Holidays
There is a link between good attendance and a child’s academic and social progress. Parents have a legal duty to ensure that their child attends school every day and at the correct time. If a child is unable to attend school, parents are required to contact the school on the first morning of absence to inform us of the reason for non-attendance. The school has clear processes to monitor attendance. We work closely with the Education Welfare Service to ensure that parents fulfill their legal responsibilities in ensuring their children attend school regularly.
‘The Welsh Government states all children should receive a minimum of 95% attendance. The Local Authority is notified as soon as any pupils fall below 86% and wherever necessary make the appropriate referral to the Attendance and Well Being Service’.
Please find below the guidelines we operate at Woodlands High School with regards to attendance:
- Woodlands’ school day is from 8.30am until 2.50pm.
- Morning registration is open from 8.30am – 8.45am.
- Afternoon registration is open from 12.45pm – 12.55pm.
- If students arrive late to school they will be entered into the attendance register as ‘Late before registration closes’ or ‘Late after registration closes’.
- If your child is ill you must inform school by 9am on the first day. In the event you do not contact us a member of the office staff will contact you first by telephone and then by text message. In the event we do not receive a reason for the absence it will be classified as ‘unauthorised’. When your child is off school for more than one day we ask you to contact us on the initial first day followed by the third day and every consecutive third day.
- It is important that you do not pass information of absences or medical appointments to the bus driver/escort or another pupil. It is parents/guardians responsibility to telephone school to report an absence. Often you will know of a medical appointment in advance so you could inform the teacher via the home/school book or by a note. We need to see and copy all appointment letters/cards.
- We ask that Dentist and GP appointments are made outside of school hours whenever possible. We appreciate this facility is not available for hospital appointments, but we are required to see and copy the appointment letter/card in order to comply with procedure and guidelines. Just send a copy in for the teacher to see and it will be returned – we do not need to keep it.
- If your child has a medical appointment, e.g. 10.30am or 2.00pm and they do not attend school for the morning or afternoon session (as appropriate), it will be classed as an unauthorised absence.
- Holidays – we cannot authorise family holidays (other than exceptional circumstances), or at the discretion of the Headteacher.